Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Spring into Projects

With spring right around the corner and warmer days ahead, it's that time of year when people turn to yard work, spring cleaning, and fun DIY projects. I've been busy with a few projects of my own!

For starters, I spent days trying to give my blog a "new look." It's so different from what I had before that I'm still trying to decide if I love it. What do you think?

Also, over the weekend I FINALLY hung pictures I've been meaning to hang for over two years, ever since we moved into our new house. I knew I wanted to create a picture wall, so I found the box of pictures, grabbed a few other wall decorations I've been saving, and spent Saturday afternoon creating it. I still need to update the pictures, but I figure I have at least another two years before I start to feel guilty! :)

Here's how it turned out.


BEFORE:


AFTER: 

To achieve this look, buy lots of frames (I found most of mine at Michael's and Home Goods), print off your favorite pics (I decided to use black and white because I love how they look with the black and white frames), add a few other wall decor items (ampersand, giant 'S', clock, quote blocks, etc), and Voila! 

I think the key is to lay it out on the ground first, exactly like you want it. Make sure you measure the wall you want to put it on as well as the actual display on the ground. I quickly realized that my arrangement was a lot larger than some of the walls I considered putting it on. That's how it ended up in the hall at the top of the stairs, which turned out to be the perfect place for it. :)

And the great thing about a picture wall is that it doesn't have to be perfect! If you look closely (er, don't, actually) you'll see that mine isn't perfectly symmetrical. And that's okay. At least, that's what I tell myself. :)

So, that's it for me. What have you been up to? Are you working on any fun projects? Are you ready for spring?

31 comments:

  1. I like the new blog look!

    We're going to be moving soon, and I'm trying to think up decorating ideas, like what to hang on the walls, etc. I like your Picture Wall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! If you need any other decorating ideas, just let me know. It's my other obsession! :)

      Delete
  2. Your blog looks cute!

    And that picture wall is great. The colors are beautiful together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the new blog look too. :)

    I do a lot of DIY stuff, but I haven't hung many pictures in our home. We have a giant collage of my daughter when she was under a year old (she's 4 now), but nothing of my son. Yeah... I'm not good with family pictures.

    I think Le&ndra would love your setup there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe. Yeah, I sent her a pic as I was working on it. I knew she'd go crazy over the ampersand! :)

      Delete
  4. I love this!!! I have the same dilemma--we've recently repainted and I need to hang everything up. I *love* your photo wall collage--brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new blog looks great, and your photo wall is beautiful! I actually think collage-type things like that look better if they're offset a little bit and not perfectly symmetrical. It's more interesting that way, more casual and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my goodness, LOVE the new spring look to your blog. And I adore those collages. Especially the ampersand. You, Leandra and me are ampersand obsessed! :) I have been doing some decorating recently...when things start to come together I'll do a blog on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beth Ellyn! Yes, between the three of us, we could buy out all the ampersands in the world. Hehe. :)

      Can't wait to see your post! :)

      Delete
  7. Hi, Kristin! I tried to leave a comment earlier but instead I replied to someone else's comment. Sorry! I think your blog looks great! And I love the picture wall—I might have to copy it! :) So nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katelyn! Thanks so much for stopping by! I'll have to visit you shortly. Nice to "meet" you too. :)

      Delete
  8. This collage looks great! I have been slowly...I mean a snail is faster than me, getting things organized. I need to repaint the bathroom since some of the pain is chipping off and I want to paint the hallway and put up more pictures so you got me motivated. I love what you did and it looks great. Your blog looks very sweet and feminine:) It give me an idea for a card:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I provided inspiration? Awesome! Can't wait to see it!! :)

      Delete
  9. You arranged the photos nicely!
    I like the new blog look. I had to pause and be sure I was in the right place when I arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love doing spring projects. Your wall looks awesome! And I'm really liking your new blog look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too cute! I'm terrible at arranging things on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new blog layout! It's so cute and overall fun... :)

    And wow, that picture wall is so cool! That must've taken so much patience to put together. I have so many unfinished projects that'd be good to return to this spring, especially cross stitch ones. If only I knew how to manage my time better, haha...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spring? Oh, right, season change. Not that we've noticed around here (although it looks like it's going to be more like summer tomorrow...).

    ReplyDelete
  14. A splendid wall! I've had my eye on a few of those family rules signs. And I really like how you incorporated the thermostat- you barely even notice it's there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Back in the days of film, when I had lots of photos lying around, I used to enjoy taking a bunch of frames and experimenting - trying out different pictures in different frames in different arrangements. Now that all my photos are digital and I have to decide what picture I want to use first so I can get a print, it's not as much fun. So I have a big ole stack of frames waiting to be put up.

    I love your wall.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the look!!! It's classy and elegant and bright and it fits your personality perfectly. I love that frame collage, too. I need to do something like that when we move. It's funny that now when we want to hang a picture, we have to go online, find our favorite pictures, and get them printed. It doesn't seem so long ago that you'd get your pictures from the developer as soon as you took them and find the ones you wanted to frame!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the new look!

    Right now, I'm busy with quite a few stuff to decorate my new bedroom. Even have a blog for it now to keep me accountable. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the new blog design!!! and the wall gallery!! You were my inspiration for my gallery wall! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm totally into spring projects now, especially the garden. BTW, I like the new look of your site:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your pictures look beautiful together. That's a special wall!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your pictures look beautiful together. That's a special wall!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments!! Thanks for taking the time to leave one!

BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS