Wednesday, December 2, 2015

IWSG December: Holiday Crazies

It's that time again! Time for another group posting of the IWSG. Hosted by the amazing Alex Cavanaugh, this is a wonderful group to be a part of. It's never too late to join us, so if you're interested, you can check it out HERE. And as always, a big thank you to our co-hosts for this month.



I've decided to quit querying and quit submitting and start revising—not one, not two, but THREE different manuscripts. They all have potential but they all need tweaking. Based off suggestions from an editor who used to work at Simon and Schuster, I've decided to dig in and make some pretty drastic changes to the beginning of Middle of Knowhere. I need to cut another 5K from Catalyst and revise another MS for pacing.



But here's the thing, I'm not putting a whole bunch of pressure on myself to get it done by a certain time. With the holidays coming up, I've kind of taken a step back from writing. I want to enjoy my family. I want to be present for field trips and class parties, tree lighting ceremonies and Christmas programs. I don't want to miss a single moment, which is how I feel lately—that I've missed so much with nothing to show for it.



I know everyone says that if you're serious about writing then you should write every day. Well, I AM serious about writing, but I know that right now the best thing for me is to take a step back, enjoy my time with my family, and gear up to start back in January. I'm not sure what my course of action will be when January hits, whether I'll keep querying agents or submit to publishers, but right now, I like not having to think about it.



And if you're feeling guilty because you aren't writing everyday, DON'T! Enjoy your life. The writing will be there when you're ready.

21 comments:

  1. I think your priorities are spot on, Kristin. Spending time with family is most important and often throws up new ideas for stories when things quieten down again. So pleased your motivated to re-work some of your future successes. Have a lot of fun and an amazing Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and all I can add is: "Preach it, Sister Kristin, preach it!!"

      Best wishes for a fun, family filled Christmas and happy writing in your own time :)

      Best regards,

      Mark, (official slacker and IWSG co-host :)

      Delete
  2. Being present and enjoying your family, especially around the holidays, is an excellent decision, Kristin. And you'll figure out your writing course in the new year, no worries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, everyone needs to take a break now and then, and this is a great time to do it. You'll be all recharged in January. Happy holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Total agreement here! (and I love that Snape approves, lol) Family time can be so fleeting, and the holidays is a great time to slow down and appreciate all your little men. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't write every day. Maybe it's time I got serious?
    Spending time with family is important.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely don't write every day. I think that would wear me down. Sometimes I need to let things percolate in my brain and on the page before I can plunge ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It will always be there for us when we get back! It never leaves you. I'm on a roll this month, but I suspect I'll slow down soon with the holidays. Take your time and get those ms's into shape!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do believe in writing every day but during this time of the year I believe in relaxing and not being so hard on oursrlves. I'm also making some drastic changes to one of my books, so I know a little of what you're going through. And these changes will change the other 3 books I wrote to follow it. Good luck with your rewrites! And enjoy these holidays! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goodness. I don't write everyday. And that's ok! Never feel less of a writer for that by any means. And taking a break to refocus is ALWAYS good! I wish you a lot of luck and if you ever need help..girl you hit me up!! Lots of hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a while I was writing everyday. But then things changed. You have to do what works for you, and sometimes that means taking a step back from the writing for a bit. Don't let anyone should all over you, especially about writing. It'll get done when it gets done.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not being too hard on yourself sounds like a good idea. I think I'll have to try that for December, too. :-/

    IWSG December

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you've got a good plan for December. Just sit back and enjoy. It sounds like you've got a grand undertaking for the new year though! Best of luck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have to cut yourself a break sometimes, especially around holidays. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's hard to step back, but you are making a good decision. I've had to do the same thing many times. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for putting your family first or just enjoying the season. Enjoy your time off! I'm sure you'll come back refreshed and ready to tackle those revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The holidays never fail to be super-busy. I think it's smart that you're choosing to enjoy this time of year, instead of stressing yourself out more than necessary with writing. Like you said, your manuscripts will still be there when you're ready to focus on 'em! Best of luck with those, by the way--I know how overwhelming it can be to balance several at once like that!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't think you have to write every day to succeed at it...just set a time each week you spend on writing. Or take some time off and come back to it later. There's no blueprint. I could write 100 words a day and get the same results someone else would get from not writing at all in December and writing 5,000 words in January. It's all about finding that right balance, which isn't always easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your plan sounds perfect to me. And the "write every day" advice is one of the worst. I take breaks and step back when needed. Nothing wrong with that. I hope you have a great holiday season with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yes, yes, yes! Take a break when you need it. LIVE!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Loved this post! And I agree, every writer is different. Take a break when you need it. I'm the same, I noticed. I have to step back from my own writing every now and then and clear my head. That seems to always fresh my mind and helps me get deeper into my writing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Christmas is a perfect time to take a break. Enjoy your family without guilt. The writing will be there when you get back. Excellent plan.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments!! Thanks for taking the time to leave one!

BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS