Monday, August 8, 2016

Pitch Wars 2016 #PimpMyBio

Hi! If you're reading this, you either follow my blog regularly or you're considering me as a potential #PitchWars mentee! So welcome!

My name is Kristin Smith, and I write YA contemporary and science-fiction novels. My debut novel, CATALYST, releases November 2016 from Clean Teen Publishing! Can I get a WOOHOO?!

The novel I've entered into Pitch Wars is a YA contemporary called MIDDLE OF KNOWHERE. It's a modern-day Beauty and the Beast story of summer love, where a city teen discovers that falling for a poverty-stricken country boy—and the secrets he’s hiding—could tear her world apart. It would appeal to fans of Sarah Dessen or Stephanie Perkins.

I love YA. I love the thrill of falling in love for the first time and, of course, I love the kissing! Whether I'm writing a YA near-future thriller or a YA contemporary, all of my books have an element of romance and enough kissing to make my mother blush. I love to read the romance, and I love to write the romance. 'Nuff said.



When I'm not writing or reading YA books, you can find me beating my kids at Just Dance, sneaking way too much chocolate, or belting out karaoke (from the comfort of my own home). I'm the mother of five loud but fun boys, and I currently reside in the middle-of-nowhere North Carolina.

Here are a few of my favorite things (cue the music!):

Favorite TV Shows:

Modern Family
Gilmore Girls
Vampire Diaries
White Collar
Reign
Castle
Drop Dead Diva




Favorite Movies:

Okay, this is a hard one! I LOVE to watch movies but I tend to gravitate towards the romantic comedies or the dystopian books turned into movies.

You've Got Mail
Life As We Know It
Hunger Games
Divergent
Kate and Leopold
My Best Friend's Wedding
And many others that I can't think of right now!



Favorite Books:

Another hard one! I love so many! But here are a few on my shelf that stand out to me.

THE SKY IS EVERYWHERE by Jandy Nelson
CINDER by Marissa Meyer
THE SELECTION SERIES by Kiera Cass
TO ALL THE BOYS I'VE LOVED BEFORE by Jenny Han
ANNA AND THE FRENCH KISS by Stephanie Perkins
BEFORE I FALL by Lauren Oliver
DELIRIUM by Lauren Oliver
HUNGER GAMES by Suzanne Collins
WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart
FRACTURE by Megan Miranda
THE RED TENT by Anita Diamant
THE POISONWOOD BIBLE by Barbara Kingsolver
Anything by Sarah Dessen
LEGEND by Marie Lu


Books in my TBR pile:

My pile is HUGE! But here are a few...

RED QUEEN by Victoria Aveyard
SIX OF CROWS by Leigh Bardugo
THE RAVEN BOYS by Maggie Stiefvater
IF I STAY by Gayle Foreman
HEIST SOCIETY by Ally Carter
THE HEIR by Kiera Cass
THE GIRL ON A TRAIN by Paula Hawkins
ALL THE BRIGHT PLACES by Jennifer Niven

MORE STUFF ABOUT ME:

I love sushi, overdosing on chocolate, all things girly and sparkly, music, being creative, throwing parties, and decorating. If you looked in my closet, you'd notice that I have a major scarf fetish. And if you peeked at my bed, you'd discover that I have WAY too many pillows. I'm always up for a little adventure, and I'm slowly knocking things off my bucket list, including ziplining through the Guatemalan jungle. So FUN!!

I also love small towns, yummy bakeries, and one of my favorite places is New York City. HELLO BIG APPLE! :)



WHY YOU SHOULD PICK ME:

I am ready, willing, and able to work hard. I welcome your critiques, thoughts, changes, suggestions... I WANT IT ALL! I know that it takes an incredible amount of perseverance, dedication, and hard work to whip a manuscript into shape, and I'm ready to do it! I'm willing to put in the time and effort (and blood, sweat, and tears!) to get it ready for submission.



WHAT I OFFER:

I like to think that I'm a friendly, positive person. I love to laugh, and I love to have fun, but I also know when to buckle down and get serious. I'm a hard worker. I know how to meet deadlines. I'd love a mentor that I connect with as a person because it would be awesome to walk away from this with not only a perfectly polished manuscript (and maybe an offer of rep!), but a new friend as well.



So, if you think I'd be a good mentee, I guess there's really only one thing left to say...



Thanks so much for stopping by! :)

12 comments:

  1. Hey Kristin, good luck! I subbed a ms for PW as well (adult SFF). Frustrating having to wait until the 25th, isn't it? Fingers crossed we both survive the wait. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, L.G.! Good luck to you, too! I know, can't wait for the 25th! :)

      Delete
  2. Judging from your tv shows, movies and books, we'd totally be like bffs in real life! Except for the sushi thing. Cuz that's gross. ;) But seriously, Gilmore Girls, kissing, etc. life doesn't get better than that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew there was a reason I liked you so much! :) And if you don't like sushi, it's because you haven't had the right kind! If you're ever in NC, I'll take you to Coral Sushi—the best sushi EVER! Gotta try the Godzilla roll. It's my favorite! :) And yes, can't get much better then Gilmore Girls and kissing. Lol. :)

      Delete
  3. YAY!!! Good Luck, Kristin!!! *fingers crossed*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to you and you deserve it! It is always nice to know what you love. You are one busy lady with 5 boys not including your hubby. I love Castle but what a shame it's over now. Katie and Leopold is a really sweet film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck with Pitch Wars, Kristin! A modern-day Beauty and the Beast story sounds like a lot of fun... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that's a great pitch! :) Phantom of the Opera, sushi, and all that are very good too:)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE reading your comments!! Thanks for taking the time to leave one!

BLOGSPOT TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS